Parish History

St. Richard Parish History

Saint Richard Parish was formed from Saint Monica and Saint Jude parishes. The first Mass was celebrated on September 1, 1963 at the Creve Coeur Country Club Hall. There were 250 families at that time. In 1965 the new Church was completed. Cardinal Joseph Ritter dedicated the church and school on January 9, 1966.

Saint Richard School was opened in September 1966 with grades one through four. The school was staffed by two Sparkill Dominican Sisters and two lay teachers. Each year a grade was added until the school consisted of grades one through eight. In the fall of 1993 a full-time kindergarten was added.

In 1976, Cardinal John Carberry gave permission to build a rectory and multi-purpose building. Ground breaking for this project was on July 11, 1977. Bishop Charles Koester dedicated the new buildings on June 10, 1979.

In 2002, Archbishop Justin Rigali gave permission to renovate the interior of the church and install air conditioning in the school. The school renovation was completed in August 2006. Work on the church began in September 2007 and the first Mass celebrated in the renovated church was on March 15, 2008. Archbishop Raymond Burke rededicated the church on June 8, 2008. Major features of the renovation are a 25 foot high Crema Marble Sanctuary Wall framed in rich wood and four stained glass saint windows, including St. Richard of Chichester in the South window.

At the conclusion of the 2013-2014 Academic year, the full time school program was ended.

Currently there are 604 registered households comprising St. Richard Parish.

Pastors

Rev. Joseph O’Brien………….1963-1985
Rev. Msgr. Adolph Schilly……1986-1991
Rev. Msgr. Donald Sullivan….1991-1992
Rev. Msgr. Dennis Delaney….1992-1994
Rev. Robert Dorhauer………..1994-2006
Rev. Charles Burgoon………..2006-2014
Rev. John Seper………………………2014

Principals

Sister Marian Francis Anderson, O.P…1966-1975
Sister Ann Gregory Bischof, O.P……….1975-1985
Mrs. Bonnie Mater………………………1985-1986
Sister Louise Schmid, O.P……………….1986-1992
Mr. Michael Corley……………………….1992-1999
Mrs. Julie Blow……………………………1999-2007
Miss Julie Smith…………………………..2007-2014

Saint Richard of Chichester

Richard de la Wych, better known as Saint Richard of Chichester (England) was born c.1197. He probably attended a monastery near his home in Droitwich, and on the death of his parents took over the family farm. Richard later continued his studies, and attended Oxford University where he became Chancellor. Following travels in Italy and France he decided to become a priest, serving in Kent for a time. Richard was appointed Bishop of Chichester in 1246. He encouraged pilgrimages to the Cathedral Church, and the yearly offerings were known as “St. Richard’s Pence.” He died at Dover in 1253, after only eight years as Bishop.

Bishop Richard was canonized in 1262. Subsequently, his body was transferred from a tomb in the north aisle, to a shrine on the platform in the retrochair, immediately behind the high altar on the 16th of June 1276, in the presence of Edward I. This became the focus for thousands of pilgrims. The shrine remained in this position until it was destroyed by the order of Henry VIII late in the 16th century. The fate of the Saint’s remains is not known. The anniversary of Saint Richard’s death is the 3rd of April.